Non-Commissioned Officers
of the 13th Maine Infantry
13th Maine Infantry Honor Guard
(Courtesy of Osborne Ellis, China, Maine)
Corporal Leonard Bosworth Jr.

He enlisted as a private into Co. K in Hartford, Maine, on 11/16/1861 and mustered in at Augusta, Maine, on 12/13/1861.  He was promoted to Corporal in 1863. He re-enlisted on 2/1/1864. He was transferred into Co. K, 30th Maine on 12/26/1864, mustered into the 30th Maine at Berwick Georgia on 2/1/1864, and mustered out with the 30th Maine at Savannah, Georgia, on 8/20/1865.

He was described at enlistment as a 21 year old single farmer, 5' 4" tall, with light hair, blue eyes and light complexion. He was born 9/27/1841 at Hartford, Maine, one of at least six children of Leonward Bosworth Sr. (9/8/1809 Hartford - 1/12/1868) and Lucretia S. Hathaway. He married Amanda J. Merrill on 8/11/1866 at Hartford, Maine, and they had at least eight children. He died sometime after 5/8/1905, probably in Hingham, Massachusetts.

Andrew Gordon tells a couple of stories about Corp. Bosworth, who he described as the shortest man and one of the very best shots in the company....

- At Ft. Macomb the officers had a pet goat that they called their mascot. Bosworth hated the goat, as did many others, and swore he would kill it if he had a chance. The opportunity arose during rifle target practice one day. It so happened that the goat was grazing in line with the targets. Bosworth shot the goat and claimed it was an accident. Col. Hesseltine stood where Bosworth had been and lined up his rifle. He agreed that the goat was in the line of fire - but a bit below. However, when Bosworth claimed he did not notice the goat the Col. agreed that it was an accident. Only Bosworth and Gordon knew better...

- At the end of the Red River Campaign Gordon and a few others wanted to go out of camp for some fun but the Captain did not give them passes. He had given a pass to one of his "favorites" who requested one afterwards which infuriated these men. Gordon asked his friend Bosworth, now a Corporal, to agree to take a squad of 8-9 privates out of the camp to fill canteens. When they were out of the gate Gordon told Bosworth that four of them were running away for the night but wouldn't tell anyone that Bosworth knew ahead of time. They did and were caught returning late the next morning. Bosworth was not held responsible for the men running away in the dark, even though he actually was actually an accomplice.

Corp. Leonard Bosworth Jr
(Courtesy of Tom MacDonald, Eustis, Maine)
The Goodale brothers of Co. B and Canaan, Maine

"My great uncle, John Morrill Goodale, was born in Canaan, Maine, March 14th, 1839. He was the next to oldest of ten children born to Moses Goodale and Betsy Goodrich Goodale.

In March of 1860 he returned to the U.S. from London, where he had been a mate on the ship ARNO. He enlisted in the 13th Maine, Volunteers, Company B, October 23rd, 1861, as a private. He was promoted to sergeant Jamuary 29, 1862.

With the 13th Maine, he was in Fort Beaufort (Jan. '62), Ship Island (Apr. '62), St. Philip (July '62), and Fort Jackson (May '63) where he supervised the signal station aboard the U.S.S. Philip. On Sept. 16th, 1863 he respectfully requested a discharge from the 13th Maine to enable him to accept a commission as First Lieutenant of the 4th Regiment Engineers Brigade, "Corps D'Afrique" in Fort Parapet, LA.  (The 4th Regiment Engineers were attached to the Engineer Brigade Dept. of the Gulf for the defenses of New Orleans. The 4th Reg. Became the 98th Regiment Colored Infantry Apr. 4, 1864.) On March 6, 1864, John Goodale was mustered out as 1st Lt., and mustered in as Captain of the 4th Infantry Engineers on March 7 of that year. From April thru June of 1864 he was in Berwick City and in July in Carrolton, LA.

On July 30, 1864, he died of dysentry at St. James Hospital, New Orleans.  His remains were shipped back to Canaan for burial in the West Side of the Village Cemetery.

While in the Gulf area, John often saw his brothers, Jeremiah Liberty and Luther, who were also attached to the 13th Maine. The brothers both returned home after the war and raised families in Maine."

[NOTE: John M. Goodale is the man on the viewer's left in the photo above of the 13th Maine Honor Guard.]

Thanks to Mr. Conrad G. White this record includes pictures of the Goodales, numerous service record documents, and signatures.

Jeremiah Liberty Goodale enlisted at Canaan, Maine, as a private into Co. B on 10/23/1861 and mustered in on 12/28/1861 at Augusta, Maine. He was promoted to corporal.  He mustered out with an honorable discharge at Augusta, Maine, on 1/6/1865.

In his letters Llewelyn Howes calls "Liberty" Goodale one of his old friends and one to whom he loaned money, so apparently Goodale generally went by his middle name.

He was a blacksmith. Jeremiah and his wife "Lizzie" had at least two children. He died of grippe and old age on 3/23/1923 at Corinna, Maine, and is buried in lot 62, R10, of the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Dexter, Maine.

Luther P. Goodale enlisted as a private into Co. B on 2/17/1862 at Canaan, Maine, and mustered in at Ship Island, Mississippi, on 4/11/1862.  He was transferred into Co. H, 30th Maine on 12/28/1864 and mustered in  at Berwick, Georgia, on 2/29/1865. He mustered out of the 30th Maine at the end of his three year enlistment at Summit Point, West Virginia, on 4/11/1865. 

He was a farmer. He was married to Emilie M. Sprisser who was born in New York about 1853, and they had at least two children:

He died in 1907 in New York.
Luther P., John M. and Jeremiah L. Goodale
(Courtesy of Osborne Ellis, China, Maine)
Pvt. - Sgt. Major - Capt. Levi Lindley Hawes

Levi Lindley Hawes enlisted as a Private into Co. I at Bangor, Maine on 10/29/1861 and mustered in at Augusta, Maine, on 1/25/1862.  He was promoted to Sergeant and then was promoted to Sergeant-Major in 1863. He was honorably discharged on 9/22/1863 to accept a commission into the Corps d'Afrique. He served as a Captain in several USC(olored) regiments. According to a photograph caption provided by Mr. Tom MacDonald of Eustis, Maine, he served as a Captain in the 2nd Louisiana Native Guards, 2nd Corps d'Afrique, 74th USCT, 20th Corps d'Afrique and 91st USCT.

He was described at enlistment as a 28 year old single apthecary, 5' 6" tall, with brown hair, hazel eyes, and light complexion. Among other occupations he was a bookkeeper and sold silver ware.

He was born 3/9/1833 at Union, Maine, one of at least three children of Galen Hawes and Harriet Lindley. He married Mary S. Dodge on 8/10/1869 at North Brookfield, Worcester, Massachusetts and they had at least one child. After living in Missouri and Massachusetts he died in Maine on 1/15/1921.

Sgt. Maj. Levi L. Hawes
(Courtesy of Tom MacDonald, Eustis, Maine)
1st Sgt. Eri W. Wyman, Co. D

Eri W. Wyman was born on December 19, 1835, at Dead River, one of at leat five children of Samuel and Mary Wyman. He enlisted from there as a Private in Company D, 13th Maine Infantry, on December 9, 1861. He was promoted to Corporal and then to 1st Sgt. His brother, Pvt. William Wyman served in the same company. He was mustered out on January 1, 1865.

He was married twice, to Sally Merry and to Augusta Williams. He had at least two children, Mary and Fred. His pension application from New Hampshire also lists service in the 1st and 4th U.S. Veteran Volunteer Infantry.

As a younger man he was a farmer but later his occupation was joiner or carpenter. He lived in New Hampshire and then Vermont

His widow, Augusta, applied from Vermont. There is a gravestone for him in the Flagstaff Cemetery in Eustis but he is not buried there. He died on July 5, 1920, at Guildhall, Vermont.
1st Sgt. Eri W. Wyman
(Courtesy of Tom MacDonald, Eustis, Maine)